BBI news of the day June 6th
Listen Coach Cal loves you all, but you are crazy. He wants you to stop sending items to his house to be autographed.
I need to respectfully ask to please stop sending items to my house to sign. There’s a formalized process for that at ukathletics.com/athletic-dept/…
— John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) June 6, 2013
The big news of the day is that 5 football players are leaving the program. DeMarcus Sweat, Sterling Wright and Bookie Cobbins have all been confirmed by UK . Demarius Rancifer and Shawn Blaylock are also leaving according to multiple reports. Below are links to many stories about the departures with quotes from some of the players, as well as from some of the players’ parents and their high school coaches.
- UK football wide receivers DeMarcus Sweat and Bookie Cobbins transferring elsewhere. From Kyle Tucker of the Courier Journal.
- Sophomore linebacker Demarius Rancifier will not return to the UK football team this fall. By Ben Jones of Cats Illustrated.
- Sweat one of four leaving Cats. From Matt May of the Cats’ Pause, he also looks at how thin UK will be at wide receiver next season.
An interview with Andrew and Aaron Harrison from 97.9 The Box.
- Their father also joins them. It is an interesting interview, where besides UK, the twins talk about their favorite basketball player and who they have in the NBA finals.
- SLAMonline caught up with 2014 Kentucky commit Karl Towns. Some of the best quotes are below, read the full article here.
- SLAM: How did it feel to verbally commit to Kentucky on national TV? Karl Towns: It was a great experience for me and my family and it was a great moment in my life. To be able to higher my education for free and also play in a great basketball program is a great dream of mine. When I was younger, I played the game of basketball to get a college scholarship and I’m so happy I’m able to fulfill my promise to my parents and be able to go to college for free.
- SLAM: Have you been in touch with Coach Cal about the rest of your recruiting class? KT: For me, I don’t know, and I just want players to come to Kentucky if they want to win. I want to win a Championship there. If you wanted to get recruited to Kentucky, know that I’m going to be there and I want to win.
- SLAM: At Kentucky, freshmen are often expected to take on a leadership role. What can you bring to the locker room as a leader? KT: I’m a big-time demander. I demand you to do something. I think I have something like a potent attitude where I really need my teammates to do what I want them to do. If they don’t do it, then I’m gonna be really upset and I’m gonna make you do it. St. Joe’s people know how I am. The team knows how I am. I’m very demanding and I expect the most of everyone. If you don’t give me the most, then I want you to sit down and not play.
- Towns also moved up to #4 in the 2014 basketball recruit rankings according to 247 sports. Get the full list here.
- Ben Roberts of the Herald Leader wrote on a story on the probable numbers of next year’s UK basketball team. Read the full story here. Below is the list he complied, follow him on twitter @NextCats.
- 00- Marcus Lee
1- James Young
2- Aaron Harrison
4- Jon Hood
5- Jarrod Polson -OR- Andrew Harrison
15- Willie Cauley-Stein
22- Alex Poythress
25- Dominique Hawkins
30- Julius Randle
33- Kyle Wiltjer
35- Derek Willis
44- Dakari Johnson
13- Sam Malone
21- Tod Lanter
24- EJ Floreal
32- Brian Long
- Below is a Marcus Lee showing in the form of an instagram that he is changing is number.
- Tom Crean sair at a Tailgate Tour event at Lucas Oil Stadium, “It’s so hard right now with what could happen down the road. There’s no question losing Kentucky screwed us up for the home and home situation.”
- Read the full article from Inside the Hall here.
Avery Williamson, Jonathan George, Kevin Mitchell on their Ethiopia service trip.
(From UK Athletics) On Thursday, Avery Williamson, Kevin Mitchell and Jonathan George – the three Kentucky football players who made a service trip to Ethiopia in late May – spoke to the media about the week they spent in the East African nation. See what they had to say in the video below.
Do you have your UK football season tickets yet? This might motivate you to get some.
Yesterday we showed you that QB recruit Drew Barker still getting some love from the UK coaching staff. Well big time running back recruit Mikel Horton also got some letters and notes even though he has already committed. You can follow him at @mikelhorton1.