Auburn defeated Kentucky 76-66 in Auburn Arena.
from UK Athletics
Final Score: #10/11 Auburn 76, RV/RV Kentucky 66
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 17-9 overall, 6-7 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn is 23-3 overall and atop the league standings at 11-2.
- Kentucky leads the series 92-19, including 30-15 at Auburn.
- Next for the Wildcats: Kentucky plays host to Alabama on Saturday at 2 p.m. The game will be televised by CBS.
In the First Half
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, Wenyen Gabriel, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the second time this season. UK is 1-1 with this lineup.
- Kentucky opened the scoring when Kevin Knox hit a 3-pointer at the 18:50 mark, extending UK’s streak of 1,039 consecutive games with a 3-pointer.
- UK got off to a good start on defense, as Auburn made only 1 of its first 16 shots, including 0 of 9 from 3-point range. That helped the Wildcats to an early 10-4 lead.
- Auburn got hot and went on a 12-2 spurt, taking the lead at 16-12.
- The Tigers stayed in front the rest of the half and went to intermission ahead 39-33.
- After missing the first nine 3-point tries, the Tigers hit six of their last eight of the first half.
- Knox led the UK effort in the first half with 12 points.
- UK is now 6-6 this season when trailing or tied at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Trailing 48-42, UK went on a 7-0 run and regained the lead with 13 minutes remaining.
- UK was still leading, 59-55, when Auburn struck with a 13-2 run for a 68-61 Tiger advantage.
- UK fought back within 68-64 but got no closer as Auburn went on to win.
- Kentucky has its first four-game losing streak since the end of the 2008-09 regular season. It is Coach John Calipari’s first four-game losing streak since Memphis lost four in a row to end the 2004-05 regular season.
- UK is 42-12 in “bounce back” games under Calipari following a loss.
- UK is 51-26 under Calipari against ranked teams.
- UK did not win tonight despite holding Auburn to 36.7 percent field-goal shooting. UK is now 162-14 under Calipari when keeping the opponent under 40 percent from the field.
- Auburn shot 29.6 percent from three-point range today, 8 of 27. UK entered the game third in the nation in 3-point defense at 29.1 percent.
- UK opponents also are attempting threes at a record rate. Opponents are averaging 25.4 long balls per game, well ahead of the UK opponent record of 23.2 3-pointers attempted in the 2007-08 season.
- UK used its size advantage to win the rebounding, 36-34.
- UK grabbed nine offensive rebounds and won second-chance points 12-7. It is the first time this season that UK didn’t win the game despite leading second-chance points.
- UK also won points in the paint, 36-20.
- Kevin Knox led the Wildcats with 19 points, including a trio of 3-pointers.
- He is averaging 17.6 points over the last eight games.
- PJ Washington came off the bench to collect 13 points and five rebounds. It is his first double-figure scoring game since Mississippi State on Jan. 23.
- Jarred Vanderbilt grabbed 10 rebounds in only 21 minutes of action, adding three points, three assists and two blocked shots as well.
- Vanderbilt has 60 rebounds in 132 minutes this season, an average of one carom per 2.2 minutes of action, an incredible ratio.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari has a 711-202 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is now 266-62 at Kentucky.
- Calipari is 9-2 vs. Auburn in his career.