The Kentucky Wildcats are now 2-0 in SEC play as they defeated the Georgia Bulldogs 78-69 in Athens Tuesday night in their first true road game of the season.

Georgia started the game on a 5-0 run thanks to star freshman Anthony Edwards, but the Wildcats answered right back with a 10-0 run as both Keion Brooks and Nick Richards scored four points while Tyrese Maxey added a floater.

With 12:07 in the quarter, Kentucky’s lead was cut to 12-11 after Richards was called for a flagrant one foul allowing Rayshaun Hammonds a trip to the free-throw line where he’d knock down both shots. The Bulldogs would retake the lead at 13-12 on their ensuing possession as Jordan Harris connected from close range.

Soon after, Tyree Crump forced Kentucky to call a timeout with 11:11 left in the half after he drained a three-pointer to put Georgia on top 16-12.

The timeout, paid off for the Wildcats as Brooks hit a lay-up and former Georgia commit Ashton Hagans converted on a three-point play to put Kentucky back on top 17-16 with 10:02 left in the half.

In the ensuing two and a half minutes, the lead would change hands four times as both teams exchanged baskets. The Bulldogs would have the upper-hand in this run of scoring as they took a 23-21 lead into a media timeout with 7:24 to play in the half.

With the half winding down, Georgia seized momentum as Edwards, Sahvir Wheeler and Christian Brown sparked an 8-3 Bulldog run to give their team a 37-31 halftime lead.

Kentucky began to chip into the Bulldogs lead early on in the second half as Hagans hit a lay-up, and Nate Sestina drilled a three to cut Georgia’s lead to one. Edwards would have a response as he nailed a pair of three-pointers to keep the Bulldogs in front by five.

Down five with just under 12 minutes to play, Kentucky began to claw back as they cut the lead to one after buckets from Maxey and Quickley. Georgia again would have an answer as Jordan Harris connected from close range, but a Richards tip-in cut the UGA lead back to one at 51-50 with 10:52 to play.

With 8:04 to play, Kentucky took their first lead of the second half as Quickley nailed a wide-open three to put the Wildcats on top 58-57.

After a Georgia timeout, Kentucky extended their lead as both Maxey and Richards scored and drew fouls to put the Wildcats on top by five.

The Bulldogs would cut the lead down to two, but the Cats had an answer as Quickley drilled another three to put his team on top 66-61 with 3:25 left in the game.

Looking to put the game away, the Sestina delivered a big jump shot to put Kentucky up six with 2:24 to play. With the lead back at four, Richards made it a 70-64 UK lead with a dunk off a perfect pass from Maxey with 1:33 to go.

Richards would deliver the dagger with less than a minute ago as he scored to put Kentucky up eight. A pair of free throws with 43.7 seconds to go from Quickley put the Cats up double-digits as they went onto close out a 78-69 road win.

With their first road trip of SEC play in the books, Kentucky (11-3, 2-0) will return home where they’ll take on Alabama (7-6, 0-1) Saturday afternoon.
Facebook Comments