(Photo courtesy Sarah Caputi/UK Athletics)
The baseball version of the Comeback Cats has done it again.
Kentucky rallied from a five-run deficit and earned its third win over a top 15 opponent with a 10-8 victory No. 14 Georgia on Saturday at Kentucky Proud Park, staving off (at least for one more day) another series loss to open the season and another series loss to the Bulldogs. The teams face a series rubber match on Sunday with UGA looking for a fifth straight series win over the Cats. Kentucky will be shooting for its first SEC series win after a sweep last week at Arkansas.
Junior Tyler Guilfoil, the Lafayette High School product who transferred from Lipscomb in the off-season, slammed the door on the Dawgs in the ninth for his second save of the week, sealing UK’s first Southeastern Conference win of the season. Senior Sean Harney picked up the win in relief of Darren Williams.
The Wildcats (16-8, 1-4) took a 1-0 lead in the first inning but saw Georgia (18-5, 3-2) push across six unearned runs in the second after there were two outs and the nine-hole hitter at the plate. But like it has all season, UK responded, chipped away and used a four-run fifth to take the lead for good. In that frame, the Cats took advantage of three walks, two hit batters, a wild pitch and just one hit.
The five-run hole was not the toughest challenge Kentucky has faced this season. The Wildcats have come back from as many as eight runs down and from seven behind (twice).
- Kentucky has 1,998 all-time victories, two shy of 2,000.
- UK has scored in 267 of 270 games in Mingione’s tenure.
- Mingione now has 159 wins, fifth on UK’s all-time list. He needs six wins to move into fourth.
- UK is 30-of-33 on stolen base attempts this season.
- UK pitchers have struck out 258 in 24 games.
- Senior RHP Darren Williams, who transferred in during the off-season from EKU, made his first start in a Kentucky uniform on Saturday.
- He struck out four and allowed six unearned runs in 4.0 IP.
- Junior RHP Tyler Guilfoil earned his second save of the season.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel went 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI.
- He set a new career-high for hits.
- He has four multi-hit games this season.
- Senior INF Daniel Harris IV went 1-for-3 with a solo home run and HBP.
- He hit his first homer in blue.
- Senior C Alonzo Rubalcaba has reached base safely in 17 straight games.
- He has four multi-hit games this season and seven in his career.
- Senior UT Kirk Liebert went 1-for-4 with two RBI.
- He has three multi-RBI games this season.
Kentucky hosts Georgia in the series rubber match. First pitch on Sunday is at noon ET on the SEC Network. Sam Ravech and Lance Cormier will have the call. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network with Darren Headrick.